Friday, June 25, 2010

Day 15 – The Boys Bail Me Out of Prison



I woke up this morning crusty eyed, feeling like decisions were being made for me and having one of the first people I spoke with accuse me of being a drunk, then I realized I was in a maximum security South African prison.

I don’t want to get in to the details of what landed me behind bars, at Robben Island Maximum Security Prison, but I would just like to say I am traveling with some truly great friends. Micah booked my ticket out of there, though he promptly made me pay him back. I think Carlos also played a hand in it as he insisted on taking my picture, while incarcerated, and making me promise I’d post it as my default Facebook picture to show every one that prison made me a “broken man.”

It’s a rather embarrassing moment for me, my family and my entire country as a whole. The only positive side that came out of today and my experience with being incarcerated was learning about apartheid and the struggles of Nelson Mandela. Though my time behind bars was rather brief, I can honestly say that what I’ve learned and the experiences I’ve endured over the past 24 hours have taught me valuable life lessons and will help me to mature further in to adulthood. They are truly lessons that will stay with me for my lifetime and something I hope I can educate with, and pass on to, my children to help them grow to be more accepting and understanding individuals.

I’m just thankful that I’m out, free, and able to safely enjoy the rest of this trip with some great friends. Making it back in time to watch Spain play and to see David Villa’s goal and post-goal celebration was also nice.

I was held against my will, so I figured I might as well also post this album...against my will.

2 comments:

  1. Hi boys, we are in Finland, watching USA-Ghana game. We are having a good time, sun is shining almost day and night. They show all the games here, good place to be! Take care of yourselves, keep writing in the journals!
    John and Anneli, Micah's mom and dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. hej. micah & co sauna on lämmin. katsommme argentina-mexico peliä. terveisiä soli Are you guys OK? When is the last game you are watching. Take a Finland flag or something.Love you! Mom and dad

    ReplyDelete